*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1091848-Basketball-Star
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Fiction · Other · #1091848
Short Story
The smoke machine is working overtime tonight.The arena lights are flashing on and off,the crowd is screaming.and everyone is excited about the start of the new season. It's the first chance they will get to see their newest star, me. I am the one they have all came to see. I have been waiting for this moment most of my life. When I was in the second grade I attended a third grade Basketball camp. Even though I was not supposed to be there the coaches let me stay. By the end of the three day camp I had recieved every award that a player could get. I was selected as best all around for the camp. The highschool coach told me that when I was ready for high school he wanted me to play for him. From that point on I was hooked. My dad and I worked on my game every night. It didn't matter how tired or sore he was from work he would slip on his old nike shoes and come out to the drive way and shoot with me. When the weather was too bad or if U.C. was playing we would sit in the house and watch the games and talk about the defense or offense they were playing. Then the next day we would go outside and work on what we saw. My dad taught me most of what I learned about Basketball. I always told him that one day he would see me out there on the U.C. floor. I also told him on that day he would be get to see the whole game from the floor I would make sure he had floor seats. Now after all that hard work that day is here. I remember the coach sitting at the house with my dad and I telling me that if I came to U.C. he felt we could have a great shot at the National Title. We are about to find out if he was right, you know what they say "you can't win them all if you don't win the first one" In the locker room coach has just finished telling us for the hundredth time not to take this team lightly they had a great season last year and are picked to be in the NCAA this year. The band has started playing and I hear the Announcer over the loudspeaker, " and now lets hear it for your University of Cincinnati Bearcats" the roar of the crowd is deafening. As we run out of the locker room I see my dad standing and yelling like a kid. Even from this distance I can see the smile on his face. As they announce the starting lineup I hear the chant. "Mic-hael, Mic-hael, Mic-hael" that's me they're chanting my name. Then the announcer says, "starting at point guard number 12 form Cincinnati, Ohio" that is all I hear because the crowd is so loud and my heart is beating so fast I can't even think. Then I hear my dad's voice telling me its time to play, don't be nervous just do your job. Some one pushes me out on to the floor and I see my dad standing and cheering. We all stand for the National Anthem, and then the whistle blows and the referee tosses the bal into the air and the center tips it to me. I start our offense with a play we worked on at every practice. I draw the defense out to me with a quick drive into the lane and then hit our big man with a pass for an easy bucket. He slams it home. and we're up two. Then I hear my dad yelling stay awkae look for the steal on the inbound. I see the pass and grab it, I hit a short jumper nothing but net. I take a minute to look at my dad and he has a tear in his eye. My dad taught me that shot. From that point on I am into the flow of the game and I can do no wrong. My passes are crisp and clean. My shots are falling from everywhere. At one point I am just gliding down the lane splitting the defense and I hear my dad say "watch out for the double team, and look for the open man." It's just like being back at he house; he can see the court better than anyone. I tell him not to worry I remember what he taught me, I see the defense, I know the read. I do my job. I am here to make my dad proud. At the end of the game after we have won, my teammates are all gathered around me helping me celebrate our victory, I look over to my dad's seatand tell him thanks and that I love and miss him. You see my Dad's seat is empty. The coach let me put an empty chair at the end of our bench just for my Dad. He remembered what I told him about my first game. My Dad passed away before the start of the season, I guess they needed a great coach in Heaven. Although he can't be here with me I know whenever I look at that empty seat at he end of the bench he will be there giving me advice and making sure I never forget the dream I am living for both of us.
© Copyright 2006 Writetobe (mikerenfro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1091848-Basketball-Star