*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2171124-The-Fathouse-Five/cid/3155694-An-Ex-Athlete-to-the-Rat-Race
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Comedy · #2171124
Five ladies getting large and gaining weight in a cramped townhouse.
This choice: A big corporation looking for an administrative assistant!  •  Go Back...
Chapter #6

An Ex-Athlete to the Rat Race

    by: Bobo the Hobo
Eventually, with her perseverance, she got a bite from a company who was very interested in having her come in for an interview—her local branch of Gordge Industries, looking to fill a recently vacated slot for Administrative Assistant.

"So, Uma..." The older woman tipped her glasses downward as she gave the applicant another once over, "What would you say that your biggest motivating factor in applying to our company was?"

"Uh..." suddenly Uma's freshly bought suit felt about three sizes too small as she floundered on a softball question, "C-Can you repeat that? M-Ma'am?"

The older woman with the graying hair and the sharp horned glasses just sighed, clacked the notecards on the table, and appeared to be visibly holding back a groan. Surely, Uma hadn't messed up that much already? God, she was so bad at things like this. Why couldn't they have just done this over the phone first? She hated the interviews!

"What would you say is your biggest motivating factor in applying for our company?" she repeated a little more sternly, "Not exactly 'why do you want a job here' but more specifically, 'why do you want this job?"

Oh Jesus...

Was this so that nobody tried to answer with "money"? Why did anyone want to get a job? Because she liked to eat food and that she was ashamed that she'd been mooching off of her college roommate for far longer than was sociably acceptable? The fat paycheck that these people offered was one of the primary motivations as to why she'd even applied! She honestly didn't know too much about what this company actually did... or really, what an Administrative Assistant did!

"Uh... well... honestly, it's kind of to make something out of myself." Uma said in a low, unsure voice, "You know, I've got team leading experience. I'm resourceful and I know how to get people motivated, as per my Physical Therapy degree there... I'm just looking to do something that's worth all of that, I guess?"

This was surprisingly working.

Wait, this was working?!

"I wanted to do something that... matters. And your company seems like it could be the one to help me do that. The best place to make the best me."

***


"You did not tell them all that sappy stuff." Reagan scoffed, "Holy shit, there's no way."

"It wasn't sappy!" Uma furrowed her brow at one of two redheads in the backseat, the only one who had spent most of the ride up making fun of her for getting dressed up, "I was just being honest! You're supposed to be honest in interviews—and you'd know that if you ever had a job!"

"Hey hey now, come on..." Audrey said from the driver's seat, "Settle down."

There were only two cars in the Fordham household between its five residents. The one belonging to Audrey and the one belonging to Chel. But since Uma's new job was located clear on the opposite side of town to Chel's medical facility, that meant that she had to carpool with the twins while Audrey drove them to classes. She could have taken the bus, but... well, who wanted to take the bus? Besides, she needed to start saving up ASAP for her own car...

"Anyway, that's how I got the job." Uma concluded with a huff, "Not like you care..."

"Well I think you did great, Oomy!" Phoebe cried out from the back seat, "Way to start pulling your weight around the house!"

Everyone gave a sharp look in Phoebe's general direction, but ultimately decided to let it slide. Reagan had thought that it was hilarious, but Audrey's stern, corrective glare in the rearview mirror told her silently to reconsider belting out a laugh at Uma's expense. The car was silent for a solid thirty seconds before someone piped up again.

Unfortunately, it was Phoebe.

"You're gonna be, like, a real grown-up and everything!"

"I will fucking kill you, Pheobe Durant."

***


"Okay, what time do you get off work again?"

"Five." Uma tried not to sound too dejected with the time

"Okay, I'll be here out front waiting for you at five, sharp!"

Audrey was much more pleased with the gofering of her roommate than Uma herself ever could have possibly been, so long as it was related to her actually having a job. And Uma's "attack the glass" mentality didn't wake up until at least eleven in the morning so, despite her initial fervor for getting a job, the boring office environment was going to take some getting used to...

"You're gonna do great, Uma—don't stress, you've got this."

Audrey offered a thumb's up that Uma slowly and begrudgingly reciprocated.

"Atta girl!"

As she drove off, Uma found herself wishing that she had decided to go work somewhere else. Maybe that contruction company that she had seen? At least it would have been loud and noisy and... no, that wouldn't have worked either. She supposed that being bored was much better than having to deal with construction work.

With a heavy sigh, Uma Ferro turned to face the front entrance of her local Gordge Industries branch and sulked inside...
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Bobo the Hobo (UN: psuedophobic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elusive Wordsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2171124-The-Fathouse-Five/cid/3155694-An-Ex-Athlete-to-the-Rat-Race