*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2097521-Mystery-Heads/cid/2387244-have-Kristi-hidden-in-a-backpack-and-carried-wi
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Joe
Rated: E · Interactive · Mystery · #2097521
You wake up one morning to find yourself bodiless. What will you do?
This choice: have Kristi hidden in a backpack and carried with Jones & Collie.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

have Kristi hidden in a backpack and carried wi...

    by: Unknown
"Look, until we learn more about how any of this works it's just not safe to have you hovering above the city without us. What if you run out of energy or magic or whatever? Or what if you find your body but can't get back on it? You couldn't contact us if you did, you'd just be stuck." Collie said, shooting down Jones' flying idea. "We'll just have to carry you around with us for now. Don't worry, we'll get your body back in no time!"

"Fine, whatever, just hurry up and let's get going!" Kristi said, slightly disappointed that she wouldn't get to do more flying.

"A please would be nice." Jones joked, trying to lighten the mood. Kristi simply glared at him in response. Pulling a battered old hiking backpack out of the closet and dumping out its contents (among which were expired granola bars, tangled fishing line, a compass that didn't point north, and a first aid kit that had never been opened) Jones motioned for Kristi to hide inside. Kristi floated herself in and maneuvered so that she was facing up, checking that none of her short dirty blond hair would be caught in the zipper when it was closed. "Alright, just sit tight. If you need to tell us something just whistle, we'll slip off the street and talk in private."

"Sure." Kristi said, trying to force an optimistic smiled onto her face in spite of everything. Without another word Jones zipped up the backpack and Kristi was plunged into almost total darkness, the thick rain resistant padding of the camping bag stopping nearly all light from passing through. Kristi felt herself being lifted up then shaken as the backpack is thrown over Jones' shoulders.

"So, where should we look first?" Collie asked, her voice muffled and distant through the bag.

"Uh...we should start at the beach and work our way into the city from there. If we overhear anyone talking about a headless surfer chick stumbling around we'll ask where they saw it but otherwise we should keep our mouths shut about our friend's 'condition'. Wouldn't want to start a panic. Or draw too much attention to ourselves, even if it ain't the Fed behind this then they'd probably pull us in for questioning and throw Kristi in a lab forever." Jones said.

While Collie wanted to argue against Jones' usual brand of paranoia she had to admit he had a point for once. "Alright, let's get looking." With that she and Jones stepped out of the RV and began combing the beach. Being early in the morning on a weekday there weren't a whole lot of people around, and eavesdropping in on a few of their conversations none seemed to be talking about a headless body running around. After an hour of walking along the sand Collie and Jones made their way into the city proper. Another hour passed and still nothing, not one person had sighted Kristi's body or if they had they weren't talking about it publicly. After a while Jones and Collie snuck into a unisex supermarket bathroom to discuss things with Kristi. "Shit, nothing." Collie said. "You'd think that if a headless lady were walking around a highly populated area SOMEONE would have seen it by now."

"Assuming her body hasn't been taken in for experimentation." Jones muttered.

"NOT. HELPING." Kristi said angrily. "Look, maybe we need to change up our tactics. We're getting nowhere fast by searching on foot like this. Maybe..."

Before Kristi could finish her thought the three friends heard something from the other side of the bathroom door. Screaming. Running to the door Jones cracked it open enough for all three friends to see out. What had caused the screaming?

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.
Joe has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2097521-Mystery-Heads/cid/2387244-have-Kristi-hidden-in-a-backpack-and-carried-wi