*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1965244-How-I-got-my-super-powers/cid/3469353-scientific-experiment
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Sci-fi · #1965244
A socially inept young man or woman gets impressive powers.
This choice: scientific experiment  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

scientific experiment

    by: Rorke
Maggie let out a weary sigh as she mopped the floor of Chem-Mart, a company that specialized in the removal of harmful chemical waste.

Many people would worry about chemical contamination but the company assured the public that you had more chance of toxic contamination from drinking soda than walking throw these halls. Not that this concerned Maggie she worked far from the labs, mostly in facilities. Taking out trash, mopping the floors, washing the window and such.

It wasn't what she had hoped for but it was better than nothing, though she wished people would at least notice her, twice she was paid late because the pay manager forgot she work here.

It was her own fault she supposed, mice were never the boldest of anthro but Maggie was an extreme. Short even for a mouse, she felt that she lack any power which is why people would cut in front of her almost on reflex.

To those patient few they saw that Maggie was kind, giving, and a hard worker. If she had just an ounce of confidence she would be near-unstoppable.

"Madeline!" a deep rumble made her jump. It was Mister Stripes, a pot-bellied old tiger in charge of facilities management and Maggie's boss.

"I-its, um, Maggie." She mumbled in a whisper, so was their relationship. For three years she had worked under him and he thought her name was Madeline and any attempt she made to correct him was in a mumbled whisper which could not be heard. A great big powerful tiger was terrifying to powerless Maggie.

"I need a janitor to stay over an extra twenty minutes, no overtime. Everyone else has said no. Are you up to it?"

Maggie tried to say 'no' otherwise she risks missing her bus but what came out was, "Um, uh. Well, umm, maybe, buu."

Mister Stripes grinned, "That's what I like to hear. Go to the twelfth floor. If you want to get a snack I suggest you do that now Madeline."

When Mister Stripes went out of view Maggie hung her head in disappointment, "Why can't I just say how I feel."
............................................................................ ...................

As Maggie prepared herself a quick sandwich in the lunch room about one floor above a team was locking up some glowing chemical waste.

"What is this stuff, Bob."

"Don't know Harry, apparently somethings that weren't supposed to mix.

"Hey be careful with that. It's our paycheck if you spill it.

"Nah, it won't spill. I lock the lid tight. See?"

Bob the mandrill tip the cylinder and neither he nor Harry saw three glowing drops ooze out under the lip or see them fall throw a hole in the floor.

The drops landed square on a triangle of cheese that an unaware Maggie then cut in half for her sandwich.

"Hmm, the lettuce must be a bit past its sell-by date. Taste a little funny," she muttered before swallowing.
.............................

Despite her many fears, Maggie was able to catch the last bus back to her street yet the whole way she had stomach cramps which only subsided when she reached her apartment block.

Her room was on the third floor and was small and cozy just the way she like it. Wide space and extravagance just didn't apply to her modest taste.

Maggie was going to run herself a bubble bath but a wave of fatigue overtook her," Oh, those extra minutes must have taken out of me more than I thought. I had better go to bed early then."

With heavy lids, Maggie put on her dark blue nightgown which she thought matched rather well with her smokey grey fur, and fell into a dreamless sleep.

In the dark of the night, the irradiated chemicals start to alter the little mouse's very cells, giving Maggie something she felt she had never had, the power to stand up for herself.


*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Rorke (UN: sawatching at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
wisdomwish has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1965244-How-I-got-my-super-powers/cid/3469353-scientific-experiment