*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2588032-The-Mermaid-the-Dolphin-and-You
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: You're worrying over nothing  •  Go Back...
Chapter #69

The Mermaid, the Dolphin and You

    by: rugal b.
Of course you don't so as quickly as the thought of replacing Allison arrives you allow it to leave. The same goes for using the mind band as what would that really get you? Allison's mind might help you navigate the waters of the pool but Melanie's will likely be a greater help in navigating the waters of high school social life.

"You really think I'll be fine?" you ask.

Allison turns back to and her expression and tone are encouraging. "I have total faith," she tells you.

You laugh nervously. "That's a lot of faith," you reply. "But I appreciate the encouragement."

"I guess we're kind of in the same boat, that's all," she says. "This is my first year swimming too. I haven't been doing it forever like Abby and I'm not just, like, freakishly natural like Heaven."

That certainly surprises you as you'd have thought those on the team would've been doing it for a while. "So how'd you get into doing it anyway?" you ask.

"Well, I guess I just felt like I needed to change things up," she explains. "Abby told me they were looking for people this year and we've been friends for a long time so I figured why not?"

"Well that's making me feel a lot better. You know, if we're in similar positions and all."

Allison pulls you into a friendly hug as you've finished changing. "You'll do great, don't worry," she says before ushering you out of the locker room.

* * * * *

You're exhausted as you pull yourself out of the pool. You stand there panting, bent over and trying to catch your breath. You've never swam like that in your life... or swam much at all really. You had to rely on Melanie's own knowledge and technique and while she's better than you by virtue of being more athletic she's a soccer player, not a swimmer. How well did you do? You're not sure and the doubts are starting to creep back into your head once again.

"Think we should have her go again?" asks one girl's voice.

"I think she's done more than enough Andrea," comes another voice. "We went pretty long with her."

"Maybe you're right," replies the first voice. "Katie?"

You look up and moreso than the adrenaline that's running through you or the cardio workout this has inevitably given you, it's being mere feet away from Andrea Varnsworth that's got your heart feeling like it's about to burst out of your chest. The swim team captain is one of the most desirable girls in the entire school with long dark dark hair, a large chest and a body shaped by the water that she effortlessly glides through the water like a raven-haired mermaid. But if her curves are soft, her demeanor is hard. She walks around the school with an air of cool indifference, like the worries of the school and its denizens deserve not even a first thought.

It makes for a girl as inscrutable as she is beautiful... and more than a fair bit intimidating. Because even if you completely subsumed yourself in your new identity and erased every bit of you that was Will Prescott, Andrea's gaze staring a hole through you would be enough on its own to make your heart rate skyrocket.

It's all you can do to mutter out a simple response as you continue to catch your breath. Your mind and heart are racing to the point where you don't even make out what you actually say.

"You're not actually enrolled yet are you?" she asks.

"Ah, um, well they're working it out last I heard," you say. "I guess I should know by tonight at the latest what's up."

Andrea regards you in a way that you can't quite figure out before moving to consult, out of ear shot, with Rachel Burton.

Rachel is an AP girl in addition to being a member of the swim team. You've often times seen her in the company of other AP girls like Kelsey as well as the likes of the gossipy Deanna Showalter or her teammate Jamie Bornholm. You yourself don't really know her well beyond that though the few times you've talked to her she's seemed pretty decent. Certainly a far sight better than the condescending snobs that make up most of the rest of that clique.

She looks back at you, then talks to Andrea once more before turning back at you. Her eyes, an icy blue, sparkle and her mouth forms into a wide smile before she turns back to Andrea once more. While they're making their decision Allison comes up next to you and places a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"Well," Andrea states as the both of them make their way back over to you, "it's yours if you want it."

"Huh?" is all, dumbfounded, you can say.

"What she means," Rachel states, "is assuming everything goes through for you... welcome aboard. Congratulations."

You can feel a look of disbelief come over your face and a smile start to creep in as Allison cheers and wraps her arms around your shoulders.

"Oh my god, Katie!" she exclaims excitedly. "See? I told you that you didn't have anything to worry about!"

"You're raw and your technique can use refining but you've definitely got a lot of potential,' Andrea says and you're surprised to hear what sounds like a compliment. "Rachel does a lot of work with the underclassmen so be sure to listen to her. She knows what she's talking about."

"Oh! Um, yes! I will!" you exclaim. "Thank you!"

Andrea takes her leave at that point. Rachel begins to take her's as well but stops to give you a friendly clap on the shoulder. "You'll do well. See you on Monday," she says before taking following Andrea out of the gym.

* * * * *

"I never felt so... so nervous in all my life!" you declare in excitement. "Oh my god, I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. Is, um, Andrea? Is she always like that?"

"More or less," Allison titters, "but you get used to it. Andrea's nice and she's incredibly supportive of all of us. Guys, girls, seniors, underclassmen, it doesn't matter. She's just... very intense."

"What about Rachel? She seemed nice."

"Ohmygawd, Rachel is," she pauses for a second, "you'll really like her. She's, like, the number two on the team even though she's not really the second best swimmer."

"Isn't that how it usually works though?" you ask.

"Well, Rachel is in all of the advanced classes and she's just, like, really smart and organized and stuff. She keeps everything running smooth and does a lot of coaching and teaching for the sophomores and juniors. Well, the sophomores mostly." Allison laughs once more. "Actually, everyone kind of thinks of her like a dolphin because she is a good swimmer though and is, you know, smart."

"So like a dolphin."

"Right!" she exclaims. "We should really celebrate though. I was going to get together with Abby and some others for lunch and it'd be really cool if you joined. Uh, you know, if you want to. I mean if you've got other stuff you have to do that's fine."

"Oh, uh, I don't really I don't think," you tell her. "Melanie's off doing something with her boyfriend so--"

But you're interrupted by your phone dinging. You mutter out a sorry before checking it and are surprised to see that it's a text from Joe.

this u will? he asks and you send an affirmative. oh damn! melanie said u were trying out for the swim team?

yeah. im still at the school, you reply.

cool! well i think im gonna need ur help.

for what?

The response isn't quite as instantaneous. got kaylee for grant but couldnt get alejandra. dont kno if we can at all.

ur giving up?

been thinkin of backups. i can get u and u can help me out?

i dunno maybe? y not ask caleb?

i did. he said ask u

That fucker. gimme a minute bcuz something else came up too, you tell him.

Outside of running down possible ideas you're not really sure what help you could be to Joe in trying to find another identity now that his main choice seems to be a bust. Also, you're worried about the awkwardness that might result from him seeing you since you don't think he or any of the guys have yet. But if they fucked up with Alejandra and Caleb's passing the buck to you maybe he really does need help.

Of course maybe it'd be better to just talk to Caleb yourself and figure out what to do to help Joe. If you can get Bhodi to give you the book maybe the two of you can work on the book a little bit. That and it might be nice to just hang out with him for a little bit, especially if he's going to have to get used to seeing you in your current -- and maybe permanent -- guise.

But you give a quick glance over to Allison. "Ah, someone's asking me if I want to do something too," you tell her.

"Well, if you want to I can't stop you," she replies. "I'll see you at school tomorrow."

You're ready to exchange goodbyes but why should you? Since when was it your responsibility to make sure that Joe and the rest of them could perform the exchanges? If they need help Caleb should know what to do so you shouldn't really encourage his laziness either by acquiescing or giving him the ego boost of getting through another part of the book. Besides, Allison's been incredibly nice to you so far and you're not sure that you want to part ways just yet.

Maybe it's the Melanie section of your head but you're definitely up for a friendly lunch.

You have the following choices:

1. Hang out with Allison

*Noteb*
2. Help out Joe

*Noteb*
3. Get in touch with Caleb

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 rugal b. (UN: rugal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/2588032-The-Mermaid-the-Dolphin-and-You