*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Copy Andrea Varnsworth
  2. Two Triangles
  3. The Swimmer
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1210118-Copy-Andrea-Varnsworth
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Copy Andrea Varnsworth  •  Go Back...
Chapter #23

Copy Andrea Varnsworth

    by: imaj
You stalk out the house angrily, finding Hartlein leaning nonchalantly against a wall outside.

"Don't let Drea throw you," he says kindly. "She takes getting used to."

"If you say so. But did I do something wrong?"

"No, that's just her being her." He folds his arms. "Don't let her intimidate you. She's not as cool on the inside as she pretends to be on the outside."

“So are you saying I should go back in,” you ask accusingly. “Maybe it would be a bit easier if you weren’t there.”

“If you say so,” he smirks irritatingly. “I’ll just go wait in my car, shall I?”

You stare daggers at him as he saunters away, not sure if he’s trying to help you or mocking you. Probably both. Still, it can’t hurt to try again, and you don’t want to return to Caleb empty handed tomorrow. You rap your knuckle against the door sharply and wait. After a few moments, it opens a crack.

“I forgot something,” you say to Andrea. It’s the truth, in a way.

Andrea opens the door wider and rests her hands on her hips. She eyes you warily for a second before asking “What?”

“This,” you reply, leaning in and kissing her gently on the lips.

She is unresponsive at first, surprised even. Then she starts kissing back forcefully, hungrily exploring your mouth with her tongue. You break off momentarily to squeal as Andrea snakes her hands behind you to grasp your shapely Eva butt.

You kiss her again as she drags you back inside, closing the door behind you with her foot. For a moment, you think you hear someone chuckling outside. Then you definitely hear the sound of a car starting up and driving off. You disentangle yourself from Andrea and look round.

“I’m sorry about Charles,” says Andrea, her voice has much more warmth in it now. “Sometimes he just invites himself over, I didn’t want to make you feel uncomfortable.”

“It’s just,” you begin, feigning nervousness. “Well, this is all new for me.”

“Eva,” tuts Andrea, “I don’t think you’ve been nervous on a date in a long time.”

“You know what I mean,” you say, blushing brightly. You’ve put Eva’s personality to the side because you realise a remark like that might spur the real deal to violence. Instead you continue. “I don’t normally go on dates where some guy’s cackling away on the side lines like a demented uncle.”

“You’ve got me alone now, what are you going to do with me” asks Andrea archly. She spins away and starts leading you by the hand back to the living room.

You’re suddenly aware of the weight of the blank mask in Eva’s purse. What do you want to do with Andrea? She’s facing away from you, alone in the house with her guard lowered. It would be so simple to slip the mask on her and wear her face as your own for a while.

So that’s what you do.

****


“Mirror,” you say curtly to the sullen faced Eva.

She gives you a dark look before fishing through her purse for a compact mirror. She hands it to you wordlessly, but there’s no mistaking the rage in her eyes.

You ignore her and flip the mirror open, admiring your new look. The long, oval face, framed perfectly by the lustrous dark hair. The beautiful Andrea Varnsworth stares back at you, but the goofy expression on her face is pure Will Prescott. You close your eyes and centre your thoughts for a second, letting the mask of Andrea’s personality settle across you.

You inspect yourself again when you open your eyes. Perfect. And there’s some interesting little memories of your new self and Chelsea Cooper that Caleb might be interested in later. Right now there’s a more important matter to deal with.

“Well,” you say to the fake Eva as you hand her back the mirror. “You’re standing there looking like you’re ready to explode. Tell me what the problem is.”

“You’ve fucked up my life you faggot,” she screeches, clearly holding back tears. “I’m off the cheerleading team, my friends have stopped talking to me and if that wasn’t enough you’re going to turn me into a lez.”

“And you haven’t said anything till now?”

“What good would it do,” she says bitterly.

“You have to do whatever I say,” you gloat.

“I know.”

“If I told you to want me? That you were fed up trying to cover up your true feelings with a string of meaningless relationships? That you wanted to admit your true feelings to everyone else?”

“Don’t,” she pleads. “Please just fucking don’t”

*****


“What about now,” giggles Eva. “How about here?”

It’s the main hall of the school, and at five to nine in the morning it’s a very public place. Students are milling about, chatting, emptying their bag into their lockers and lots of other little tasks that need to be done before the bell goes.

Most of them are ignoring you. Chelsea Cooper, or it could be a Chelsea masked Caleb by now, is staring a little too intently at you whilst her flunkies Gloria and Kendra talk to her. The realisation that Chelsea knows about Andrea floats into your mind. Something like this is exactly the sort of thing that Chelsea, or at least the real Chelsea, would worry about.

“Come on Drea,” she whispers into your ear.

You are a bit worried you may have gone too far with Eva’s “reprogramming”. She was sweet and attentive enough last night. Eventually. Now she’s intent on outing herself in front of the entire school.

“Are you going to kiss me or not,” asks Eva so quietly that you barely hear it yourself.

You have the following choices:

*Noteb*
1. Kiss her, let the whole world know

*Noteb*
2. Don't kiss her, talk to Caleb first

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 imaj (UN: imaj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1210118-Copy-Andrea-Varnsworth