*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. New Masks, New Lives
  2. The New Royals
  3. The Swimmer
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1187454-New-Masks-New-Lives
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Find new personas  •  Go Back...
Chapter #23

New Masks, New Lives

    by: rugal b.
"So have you got an idea of who you're putting on the squad?" you ask Caleb, the two of you watching Coach Tesla yell out drills. It's all a show of course, that hag Tesla is Coach in title only: Chelsea is the one that makes most of the decisions, she's the one who everyone defers to. Being the "best" doesn't guarantee a spot on the squad after all, it's all politics.

"I've got it narrowed down to a few," she says, her eyes never moving from the potential recruits, "Cassie Harper, Yvette Moore, Fatima Zahedi,"

"Why them?" you ask turning away from the girls towards Caleb.

She turns to face you as well, "They have their uses," she replies, "Cassie's cute and perky, really lovable. Yvette's mom has breast cancer so she generates sympathy. Fatima's popular in the more underground sections of the school ladder: the artists, indie music kids, potheads, general weirdos,"

"I get it," you say turning back towards the field, "It's kind of sly: they all would reflect greatly on Chelsea. All that's happened to her AND giving spots to the 'lesser' girls... it makes her look better."

"Makes ME look better, you mean," Caleb replies.

"About that..," you begin trailing off. "I don't know. I'm not having fun at home. You know about his dad. He had another episode last night." You suppress a shudder as you recall the black rage Gordon's father fell into at the sight of the dirty dishes in the sink.

Caleb turns you to around so you're staring directly at each other, "I thought getting Chelsea and Gordon was the whole plan," she says, a bit of a peeved tone in her voice. "And now you're saying you want out?"

"Of Gordon, yeah." You notice the very Chelsea-esque glare Caleb is giving you and begin pleading your case, "Look like I said yesterday we don't NEED to be Gordon or Chelsea to control them. We can be others and run things from the shadows and these other people can have their uses too," You look back at the field, "Like take Fatima: put her on the cheerleading squad and Chelsea looks good. Grab a mask of her and we can stay close together on the squad and we've got an in for the underground,"

"Is that who you'd rather be? Fatima?" Caleb asks turning back to the field as well. After a moment of silence she speaks up again, "I'll add her to the squad then. You said you were giving Eva a break from dealing with the 'Chelsea shit' so you've got her getting masks ready, right?" ahs asks. When you answer an affirmative she continues, "Alright so take the day as Gordon and then tomorrow morning meet me in the locker room and bring the masks. I'll call Fatima in and we can grab her then,"

You look at Caleb and give a smile, "Thanks," you say before adding, "It would've been weird havin' to fuck my best friend anyway,"

* * * * * * * *


"I seriously can't believe you're wearing that," Sienna Goldman tells you the next day at lunch. She's referring, of course, to Fatima Zahedi's brand new cheerleading outfit.

"Oh, well... Chelsea said that it's like a thing new members have to do," you explain, "Get accepted onto the team, get their uniforms, wear their uniforms as an like a flashing sign saying 'Hey look at me! I'm on the team!'"

"I think..," comes the voice of Andrea Varnsworth as she plops down between the two of you, "she means that she's surprised you'd even go out for the squad. Much less get picked. Isn't that right Sienna?" she says, ruffling Sienna's short, boyish dirty blonde hair. Sienna jerks away and glares at Andrea. Being on the shorter side and conscious of her height she tends to hate it when Andrea does things that make her feel more... kiddy, is the word you're probably looking for.

"Nice to see you too, Andrea," she replies before turning to look back at you, "But she's right Fatima, don't take it the wrong way but me and Drea have known you forever. You've never been the cheerleading type,"

It hits that you're sitting right next to Andrea Varnsworth again and the same feelings you got a few days ago at the pool return. You're able to push them aside however. "Well, I didn't think you were the cheerleader type either, Andrea," you shoot back, "Yvette told me at the tryouts yesterday that she heard from Charles who heard from Emmy Keller that you were talking to Eva Garner yesterday. Since when did YOU hang around with the cheerleaders, huh?"

Andrea looks at you, a bit taken aback by what you've just said. A smile then crosses her face, "You've got me there, Tima... or you WOULD'VE. Eva and Jessica aren't on the team anymore, remember? Otherwise you wouldn't be wearing that silly get-up right now,"

"Look Fatima," Sienna says trying to bring things back, "we just don't want you getting mixed up in all of their political bullshit. It'd really suck if you got on that cunt's bad side,"

"But just think, Sienna," Andrea chimes in, "We've got someone on the inside now. Our own little mole who could keep us abreast of everything Chelsea's up to," she then turns to you, staring at you straight in the eye, "You'd do that for us, wouldn't you?"

"Andrea, what the fuck?" asks Sienna, the incredulous tone clear as a bell, "She's our friend. We can't just... just USE her like that now that she's on the team,"

You look from Andrea to Sienna and back again. Andrea's face is warm and soft, her eyes not pleading but confident; as if she could convince you to jump off a bridge with nothing but that look. You're feeling a bit flustered inside once again. "Sienna it's..," you sigh, "Look, I'll be fine alright? I might not have your fire, Sienna, but I'm not going to put up with Chelsea's crap. And yeah I've got no problem feeding you guys info," you explain.

The rest of lunch continues normally although you find yourself once more drawn to Andrea. She's an intoxicating creature from her gorgeous looks to her soft voice to her personality that instantly puts you at ease and makes you feel comfortable no matter what. After about twenty minutes the bell rings, hugs and goodbyes are exchanged and the three of you head off to your next classes but not before you wonder if maybe you should do something with Andrea. Something radical.

* * * * * * * *


You head out to the lockerroom after school. Caleb had sent you a text from Chelsea's phone saying "have nu girl 4 squad. meet in lckrrm," right after lunch. You arrive to see Chelsea standing there with Cassie Harper. "Oooh, hey Fatima!" she says smiling and swishing the skirt of her cheerleading outfit, "Don't I look, like, so cute in this!"

You smile at Cassie and tell her you'll be a minute as you pull "Chelsea" aside. "You chose Cassie?" you say to her, your voice betraying a hint of irritation.

"Yeah, I did," Caleb replies, "She's cute, likable and kind of gossipy so having her under our thumb couldn't hurt," she answers, "Why, do you have a problem with Cassie?"

"No it's just..," you look back at Cassie and smile before turning back to Caleb, "I think she had like some kind of crush on me. I dunno, it just feels weird,"

"Shit, no way!" Caleb replies smirking, "And you never, like, tried anything?"

"Shut up," you glare, "Look I've been thinking about something. Remember what I said about Andrea Varnsworth a few days ago?" you ask, continuing when Caleb nods, "Well it turns out her and Fatima and Sienna Goldman all grew up together. They're, like, total BFFs. And being around her... I dunno," You pause and take a deep breath before continuing, "I want to bring her in on the plan,"

Caleb just stares at you before peering over your shoulder at Cassie, "Cassie, please give Fatima and me a couple of minutes. We have some things we need to get straightened out about what being on the team will entail," she calls out before looking back at you. "You want to do what?"

"Bring in Andrea Varnsworth,"

Caleb just shakes her head, "What the hell... if you want Andrea so bad why not just grab her on a mask?" she asks.

"Because..," you start, shifting nervously, "It just wouldn't be the same,"

"You're like a lovestruck puppy," states Caleb.

"Look, it's Andrea Varnsworth and she's just..," you pause trying to think of what to say, "You haven't been around her but she's just... she's so smart and engaging. And I think she'd be agreeable to our plan. I mean do you know what her first reaction was to learning Fatima was on the cheerleading squad? She wanted her to act as a mole for the underground circle,"

Caleb just stares at you, however. It's a longshot you know but the opportunity to spend more time around Andrea... maybe Caleb's right. Maybe you ARE a lovestruck puppy but this is a chance you can't really pass up.

You have the following choices:

*Noteb*
1. Caleb refuses

*Noteb*
2. Caleb agrees

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 rugal b. (UN: rugal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1187454-New-Masks-New-Lives