*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1022994-Perusing-the-Blackwells-Library
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Explore the library ... and more.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #27

Perusing the Blackwell's Library.

    by: Wordsmitty ✍️
So as not to think about the earlier conversation nor the eerie environment of the library, you keep yourself busy entering the books. The two clocks ticking nonsynchronously is distracting at first adding to the bizarre feeling of the whole place, but gradually they became something soothing and relaxing, almost hypnotic, enabling your concentration.

It takes little time at all to do most of the books once Melody is let go to do them. Her mind is like a super computer able to instantly grasp the right info from each book and type it in, never looking at the keyboard and without a mistake. Be it the mind strip's ability or Melody's, you can remember where each book is to go even after leaving it waiting in the completed pile until you carry a bunch around the room quickly placing where the computer said they are to go without going back to look each up.

It is amazing what you are doing, and you wish you had Melody's intellect to get you through school. That sets you off dreaming again of having multiple masks of yourself with different mind strips from various geniuses. Or maybe one of the highly talented musical kids that could get you into being a rock star touring the world, new groupies in every town, women throwing themsleves at you, ...

You wild fantasy is interrupted by Melody's conflicting thoughts on how perverted guys always are with just one thing on their minds. She'd rather have an intelligent conversation and share feelings with another girl. At least she'd feel respected. That makes you think how you've considered that also when you weren't horny drooling over some hottie. You wonder if that's why you've had few girlfriends and not for long. Lisa is the only one you could ever call a friend that you weren't first going for her pants.

After shelving the latest entries, both her and your curiosity compel you to check out the books Blackwell has laying around open. Obviously, he is researching something and left them out for a reason. Hopefully, something to do with the Libras and a way to save Lisa and yourself.

The first several are just old stories about people who seem possessed, bowing to the whims of a mysterious or evil person who they had in the past shunned or even fought against. Others told of people who would do "not normal" acts for days then return having no memory of any of that. One actually had a reference to the Libras saying it was supposedly a sorcerer’s guide that was destroyed by a magistrate or noble in the 13th century after a trial and "witch and devil" burning of almost an entire village. A footnote said the magistrate disappeared shortly afterward along with the transcripts and books of the trail. It was thought a curse had been placed on him before those condemned by him were executed.

Going back to the computer, you check for programs to search Blackwell's database which you easily find. In no time you, using Melody's expertise in research, find several references to Libras Personas and go pull them from the shelves quickly scanning to the right page. It is good that Blackwell had already entered the page number for many, but Melody's ability to speed read pages even in Latin and German is tremendous help.

Although all descriptions or stories are different, they contain the same basic introduction of man's use of masks for ritual to pretend to be something or someone else often to stir a group to battle or to the hunt. Shaman as well as rulers wear masks to let the spirits of the gods enter their bodies and talk to them to pass word to the people. At some point in ancient history thousands of years ago, either a priest or king commanded that the masks be remade claiming the ones he was given no longer worked. He did not feel like a god when he put it on and did not get wisdom from it.

When no one at court could construct a mask that worked, an edict went out to every merchant and craftsman to find or build a mask and they would be greatly rewarded. Although many tried and brought forth wondrous masks, heads rolled as all failed to make a mask that was satisfactory.

One day a traveler (sometimes old and ragged, sometimes a fancy mercenary) came to the ruler's court claiming he had a mask that could allow any man to impersonate another man and not be discovered. However, he made no claims to communicate with gods. He wished to present that mask to claim the king's reward. He was ridiculed, of course, until he either placed a mask upon his face or ripped the face off to reveal a totally different person in face and body (someone had hand underlined that). Needless to say, the king was impressed, stole the mask and tortured the man until he confessed to getting it from someone way out in the middle of nowhere, etc., etc.

Skipping ahead to get past the rest of the Disney-esque fantasy tale, you came to one source describing ancient magic rites being placed in a book that cannot be opened without spilling blood for it contains the means to capture a person's body and soul (again hand underlined) and place it upon another or on a body of stone carved from the dead of many. Only a master who is wise and perceptive can resolve the riddles the book contains and not loose his mind to the book itself. With those secrets, he could control not just his destiny, nor just those surrounding him, but that of a kingdom and perhaps the world. Neither the book itself nor its contents could be copied, although it was rumored that a copy of the book was once made. Both books have been lost (in a similar story about witch burning) but are believed to still exist in hidden forms or in collections where each is guarded by the master of the book who enjoys the failures and calamities of those who try to unlock the secrets.

You give up on these seemingly irrelevant stories and spend the next ten minutes walking around the library checking out the odd sculptures and freakish creatures that enliven the room like piranhas in a pool. You swear the three-headed beast about the size of a Doberman looked like the silhouette of Blackwell's house with it's towers and chimneys. The left head appeared well worn as if that was the only head one could pet or something. Although with its razor teeth and ferocious grin, you can't see why anyone would pet it even if it isn't alive. God help anyone if it ever is.

Finally you go back to the last few books and finish cataloging and putting them away. When placing the very last, you notice the book right next to it that is similar in texture, color and style as the Libras. You pull it out creating a swirl of dust that gets in your eyes and nose causing you to stagger backwards and sneeze. After blowing off the rest of the dust - this book must have not been down for years, you open it and flip through the pages. They're old and the writing is similar to the Libras. Skimming a few pages, you find it's in old Latin and reads like poorly constructed warnings on the use of "dark powers" until abruptly the pages are blank as if an unfinished manuscript. Turning back to the last page with visible writing, the words burn into your mind as Melody roughly translates them.

"I will not tell you how riddles are made nor riddles are solved. Those of blood will be given admittance. Those who blunder forth will stop at half. Those who can see will perceive the answers there. Those who experiment will destroy themselves. Those who mind itself will make whole. Those without character will succumb. Those who succumb will be consumed. Those who succeed will fail. Those who fail will survive. Those who survive will die. Those who die will be forever."

You have the following choices:

1. Time to get paid and get out.

2. There's something else in the house.

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Wordsmitty ✍️ (UN: wordsmitty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1022994-Perusing-the-Blackwells-Library