*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1022142-Ninth-Spell-The-Anima-Slave
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Ninth Spell: The Anima-Slave  •  Go Back...
Chapter #5

Ninth Spell: The Anima-Slave

    by: Seuzz
This is a mind-strip superficially similar to the mind-strip made in the third spell. It can be recognized at sight by the fact that the letters that flame on its surface are red, not blue.

The anima-band copies not only the person's mind and personality but also their anima: the life-force (roughly, the soul). As such, it is a much more powerful kind of device and must be used with great discretion. While the book's user can use mind-bands to learn the mental secrets of others, he uses the anima-band to impose personality changes upon others. Basically, someone who dons an anima band becomes convinced that he or she is the person whose anima has been copied. They lose their own sense of identity, and feel that they are the the copied person body-swapped into a new body.

Best kind of comparison:

If Jack puts on a mask of Jill, then he looks like and can act like Jill, but is certain that he is really Jack, and can act like Jack when necessary.
If Jill puts on an anima-band of Jack, then she looks like and can act like Jill, but is certain that she is really Jack, and can act like Jack when necessary.

The person who wears an anima-band, though, has no psychic link with the original; the person is also not the slave of the original, or of anyone else. For this reason, they can be unreliable allies, especially if they resent being "trapped" in a body that they dislike. It is especially dangerous for talented magicians to duplicate themselves in this way, for in doing so they populate the world with independent beings of equal stature and talent; these can quickly become formidable rivals and may seek to displace the original even if they understand that they are not themselves the original. However, such things can be useful in populating the world with "duplicates" of allies or loyal henchmen, or with spreading mischief by mimicking the effects of body-swapping.

THE END.

You've come to the end of the story. You can:

  1. Step back to the previous chapter.
  2. Start reading the story from the beginning.

Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1022142-Ninth-Spell-The-Anima-Slave