*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1454465-Faeries-Or-Food/cid/1815595-Eternity-Without-Ambition
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Adult · #1454465
Choose to be the Faeries or the Predators or even be a simple observer.
This choice: Imp's, conniving and cruel  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

Eternity Without Ambition

    by: Bucket
As immortal creatures, demons have the benefit of a potentially infinite lifetime in which to accomplish their goals. This is perhaps the single saving grace of nearly every race on the mortal plane, as it means that demons on the whole are largely unambitious, content to squander their time on whatever trivial pursuits fill their dark hearts with pleasure. Imps are amongst the most simplistic, lazy and down-trodden of all demons in Hell, gaining immense joy from the malicious pranks and tricks they play on others, with lying, stealing and betrayal being amongst their favorite sins. They love nothing more than turning the tables on someone, flipping the situation to an unexpected outcome. Imps are just as keen to corrupt the pure as they are to nourish the evil and pettiness of others, twisting and contorting their values/boundaries and pulling their strings with the cruel and merciless glee of a deranged puppeteer. The ultimate thrill for an imp however is to have power over others; a rare and exciting treat for such lowly demons, and one which they are always sure to abuse to the greatest degree possible.

Due to their diminutive status, imps can normally find themselves summoned to the mortal realm either by accident, or as a side-effect of a greater summoning. As imps are one of the easiest creatures to summon, requiring only an animal sacrifice, they also usually find themselves deliberately summoned by secretive individuals, or indeed by beginners or skeptics (who do not wish to end a human life in order to satisfy their curiosity). Secretive individuals normally take the form of twisted witches, and warty wizards, individuals who fortunately paint humanity in a very unattractive light, and their secluded rancid hovels mean that the imp is rarely presented with a situation in which they question the meaning of their existence. If summoned correctly these periods can be unbearably dull for an imp, stripped of their already limited free-will they are forced to fulfill whatever deeds these horrific individuals wish, sometimes trapped for decades as they wait for their master to expire, thus allowing them to return to the chaotic turmoil of Hell.

In terms of appearance, imps are dark, bony little creatures, roughly the size of a monkey. They have long grasping hands that end in small sharp claws. Their lipless mouths are lined with a row of jagged teeth, each almost triangular in appearance like that of a Great White shark, and behind them darts a long dexterous tongue. These gleaming teeth are rarely used for eating however, as the imp’s body requires neither food, water nor sleep. Such actions are performed only to extract pleasure from them, with the imp merrily indulging in acts of sloth and gluttony for the sin alone. Above these teeth sits a narrow nose, once again akin to that of a bat, but framing them are the two large jet-black pools that make up the imps eyes, a tiny bead of red in the centre akin to a hot coal at the bottom of a deep well. Small nubby horns and long pointed ears complete the imp’s skull, giving it a distinctly vicious and unmistakably evil appearance. Although their bat-like wings appear large and impressive compared to their sinewy bodies, they lack the muscle power to accomplish much more than short clumsy flights. They are normally used therefore to assist the imp in escaping from danger, covering the short distance up into the branches of a tree, or gliding from a fall.

Imps also have several supernatural abilities at their disposal, including a very limited degree of telepathy. This is akin to placing ones ear to a door while an unknown number of individuals move furniture; the number of individuals, size/weight and position of the furniture can be roughly ascertained, but without having any idea as to the color of the couch or indeed missing entire objects that simply had not been moved! This is a two way process however, and the individual will likely know that someone is ‘listening in’, feeling grubby little psychic tendrils wriggling in their psyche. As demons, imps are also resistant/indifferent to fire (that is not of a holy origin), and are capable of minor feats of pyromancy. In the case of imps however, this pyromancy is admittedly puny, rarely manifesting itself as anything more spectacular than a few sooty licks of flame, or some sparking. Finally, the most remarkable, and truly unique property of the imp, lies in its ‘Powers Of Calamity’. This is an uncanny knack for making the wrong thing happen at the wrong time, and it is from this (coupled with some very crude suggestive thought via their telepathy) that the imps engineer most of their mischievous pranks. Although it can cause individuals no end of inconvenience, these acts are rarely directly fatal, but a trip or slip at the wrong time can certainly turn the tables on what would have otherwise been an undesirable situation for the little demons…

An imp's life is therefore an unending series of events beyond their control, as they are pushed, pulled and bullied throughout their existence. Although they complain bitterly if asked, their nature means that they rarely learn from their mistakes, and as the effort required to take charge of their destiny is so unappealing to them, they tend to take the highs and lows of life in their stride.

Would you like to play as a 'Bound' imp, with a master and Infernal Contract, or perhaps an 'Unbound' imp, keen to binge on the pleasures of this world during his short time here?


You have the following choices:

1. Bound

*Noteb*
2. Unbound

*Noteb*
3. Other

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Bucket (UN: bucket2005 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Michael Jackson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1454465-Faeries-Or-Food/cid/1815595-Eternity-Without-Ambition