*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Jessica's new self
  2. Mutation
  3. Greg
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1318662-New-World/cid/498663-Jessicas-new-self
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Sci-fi · #1318662
People search for the savior of mankind in a hostile world
This choice: Jessica's new self  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

Jessica's new self

    by: spongetronix
Jessica woke up.That is she opened her eyes or thought she did,everything was pitch black.She felt like she was standing on something solid,ground yet she may have been floating,it was too black to know for sure.She looked about wondering which direction to head towards,she chuckled,like it made any real difference.
It was strange or Jessica felt it should be alarming that she was chuckling at a time like this.The last thing she remembered was suddenly being taken ill.She remembered she was in some sort of pain but it didn't last long.She had closed her eyes almost the moment her head touched her pillow.She had seem to drift off and the pain ebbed until the feeling of being in a body left her all together.Now here she was standing,she assumed,in a place of darkness and she felt no fear.
Jessica stood for what seemed like a long time.She started to walk,it didn't matter which direction,whichever way she was facing.With her arms outstretched in front of her she made her way until she walked into some sort of obstacle.It was a chair..A simple chair.And it was not a very shocking surprise,although Jessica felt she should have been more amazed at the discovery.Instead she sat on the chair and just waited.And she waited.Jessica could not say for sure how long she waited,time was immeasurable in this void.Just as she had began to think about time she suddenly was looking at an overpass,with cars whizzing by,but way overhead.To her surprise the image she was looking at blurred and streamed about and around her.In a blink of her eye she was floating into an open window.
Jessica hovered and took in her surroundings,it seemed as if she were in some sort of apartment albeit a small one.She could see slumbering figures wrapped in sheets and blankets.This looked to be a coed apartment.She floated down and gently zoomed about looking at everything.She tried to go out the front door but was forced to stop it seemed she wasn't able to pass any further.Confused,she walked back over and through the various clutter about including the sleeping people.She saw 'her' chair and suddenly felt a lot better.As she placed her hand to the chair she was immediately magically it seemed transported to the hallway outside the door she attempted to pass earlier.She could only conclude she needed the chair to go out of places,maybe into places as well,perhaps to get to anywhere in this world she was in.
She found herself standing in a stairwell with stairs going on into infinity above her and infinity below her.But she was aware that she felt firmly grounded where she stood.Suddenly Jessica was startled when she saw two men,elderly,come down from the stairwell that led to an upper floor.She paid no obvious attention to them but she was alert nevertheless. The men passed her by and she turned to follow where they were going.
There were people all about.The stairwell had become very crowded all of a sudden.
More than seemed possible.There was ample space between her and the people yet the people all seemed to be about to collide but it never happened.The she witnessed a door,a closed door and many other doors next to that one.The crowd had gathered at these doors and some people were coming in through the door and some were going out through the door.Nobody paid attention to Jessica so she naturally assumed she was invisible,but she was lost.At this point she didn't know what to do.She began to tune in to the murmurs until the gurgling sound became voices,clear and audible.She heard one man greet another.This seemed to be the general attitude on this stairwell.
People were greeting each other,others were talking and laughing,some minded there own business,some were hugging,or crying.
Suddenly she heard a female voice call to her and expressed surprise at seeing her.
"Are you here too?"was the question the woman asked.Jessica nodded not recognizing the woman.

THE END.

You've come to the end of the story. You can:

  1. Step back to the previous chapter.
  2. Start reading the story from the beginning.

Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1318662-New-World/cid/498663-Jessicas-new-self