*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3594355
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:45am
Edited: October 18, 2023 at 10:15am
Re: October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting
I think your video (and day 17 and 18 exercises, of course) helped me narrow down my setting from "somewhere in North America or Europe" to "somewhere in the mid-to-northern Appalachian mountains " to "the blue Ridge Mountains" to "that area along I-70 in WV/PA/Northern MD where we pass through those tunnels on the way home to mom and dad's every year." Pretty sure it's Western Maryland. They're the perfect setting for my conflict.

I may have also mentally planned a couple significant complications around those tunnels in the wee hours. *Bigsmile* And I'm considering booking a stopover in a local town inn en route to the eastern shore next time we go for research and investigative purposes, including interviews of the locals. My husband doesn't know this yet. šŸ¤£

Sadly, mom and dad are coming to us for Thanksgiving, which falls (inconveniently) right smack in the middle of NaNo, so our next trip east will probably be Christmas break, which is right when the Blue Ridge winter kicks off. Naturally winter will be much meaner to my characters than the other seasons.

This story may be a Camp NaNo project next spring.

Don't tell my parents I said I'm sad they're visiting, because I was joking. Definitely not sad they're coming. We'll order the meal from Bob Evans because I don't cook, which is easy and yummy, and Mom will inevitably make her apple pie, which is literally the best on the planet since she learned from both her ancestors in the US, where apple pie and baseball were invented, and her "Mutter" in Germany, where they've spent millennia perfecting the dessertification of den (des? Olivia's writing adult stuff?) Apfel. šŸ˜‚ (I've always been terrible at definite article cases lol)
MESSAGE THREAD
October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting · 10-16-23 10:54pm
by šŸ’™ Carly - aka Joan Watson
Re: October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting · 10-17-23 7:34am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
*Star* Re: October 17 - Setting: Cultural Setting · 10-18-23 9:45am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3594355