*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3593770
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:04pm
Re: Themes
by s
What themes are you exploring in your own work?
None. If themes appear (and they possibly do), they are subconscious. I write because I have an idea I want to put down on paper. I have had people read themes into my work, and that's cool. They were never put there consciously. I write to tell a story, I do not write to a theme.

But - and I want to emphasise this - that is me. I do find stories written to a theme to the exclusion of most else are dull. And sometimes theme overwhelms what should be a fun tale. There should be some sort of balance there.

Do you need help pinning down your themes?
Possibly... if I cared. *Wink*

Look, many writers feel that themes are vital to them, to help get their ideas down in a cohesive manner, especially during ther plotting/planning phase. When a plan gets bogged down, go back to the theme you want to explore and see if that can help steer your story in a happier direction for you. Themes can also help you develop characters by using the archetypes that are related to those themes, which can give a solid base for building your own character.

When writing a short story (and I know this is moving away from NaNo), a theme can help a beginner writer turn a vignette into a short story, give it an arc. Because the idea of themes can help give an overall story arc. Characters need to grow or change for a story to be compelling to a mature reader. If there is a theme that can help that develop naturally, then utilise it as another tool.

So, yes, I do see the value in having a theme there for some writers, and can even understand how it can help. I am not saying ignore themes.

I am saying I ignore themes. that's all.
MESSAGE THREAD
Themes · 10-15-23 10:06pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Themes · 10-15-23 10:46pm
by QueenNormaJean gettinPomsready
*Star* Re: Themes · 10-15-23 11:04pm
by s
Re: Re: Themes · 10-16-23 7:56am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Themes · 10-16-23 12:12pm
by QueenNormaJean gettinPomsready
Re: Re: Re: Themes · 10-16-23 3:42pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3593770