*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3299050
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:35pm
Roseille. Lt.Storm Machine and something too share
Hi,
When trying to figure out specifics like places, weather, size, population plants etc, I guess you could call me a research hound. I do all of that reguarding my characters, weather, history. I do have a story that I get to every now and then and I can not let myself give up on is my "The Bounty Hunter." Takes place in the Jackson Hole ,Montana below the Grand Tetons. Never been there except in my mind and through my character and my pc.

I have only traveled or (been allowed to travel via the Navy as a spouse) was the "HUGE" island of Wake. *Rolling* I wasn't at all sure the plane was going fit on the runway or if the pilot was going to be able to stop before dumping us all in the Ocean. Then I hit Hawaii, then Guam. Was there for 1 yr., 6 mo, and 6 days. That was indeed an experience. I won't waste your time telling you what it was like being a snot nosed teen, married, on the other side of the world thinking her S*** didn't stink getting into one to many fights in which My husband was called before the captain about. ------AH -------the good ole days *Laugh*

Working on # 7 assignment, I came across this from Writer Digest regarding Climax. It was helpful to me so I thought I would pass it along here in case anyone would like to use it. I copied what I thought were key elements. It was written by Jeff Gerke.
If you would like the entire article here is its link:

https://writersdigest.com

4 ways to Improve Plot/Climax in Your Writing,
Climax:
1. Composed of four components:
A. The run-up to the climatic moment (last minute maneuvering to put the pieces in their final positions)
B. The main characterā€™s moment of truth (the inner journey point toward which the whole story has been moving.)
C. The climatic moment itself (in which the hero directly affects the outcome)
D. The immediate results of the climatic moment (the villian might be vanquished, but the roof is still collapsing.)

Many times, all four of these will happen as a stand-alone piece, a huge scene (or a series of scenes) that constitutes the endgame.
Often this done in a location we havenā€™t yet seen. In those cases, the final act is easy to identify. But there is nothing that says your climax has to be in a different location, so long as you cover all the elements. Even if youā€™ve thought of a place, considering other options will help you find surprising wonders or can verify that you have, indeed, found the right place for this crucial action.
There is an appropriateness about your story regarding the ā€œrightā€ location for the big scene. Where is the perfect place for your bookā€™s climatic sequence?

2. The run-up to the Climatic moment:
A. The climax is the whole book in miniature. Thereā€™s a beginning, middle, and end. Rising action, climax and falling action. Things have be set for the big event, the big event happens and then there is the fallout. If your climax takes place in a new/different location, the run-up begins when the hero arrives at the new location. (you just got to get him/her there. If not in a new location? Indicate the heroā€™s intention to purposely walk toward the final confrontation. Then begins the next logical point on that journey; The climatic moment.

3. The moment of truth:
A. The main characterā€™s moment of truth in her inner journey needs to take place late in the story but still before the external climax. This is because what she decides to do or become in her moment of truth affects how she will behave in the climatic moment. What if your main character decides in her moment of truth has everything to do with how how the climax of the book plays out? It doesnā€™t mean that if she makes the ā€œrightā€ decision sheā€™ll automatically win the day (though that is usually what happens), but it does tell you how sheā€™ll behave in the climatic moment of the external story line.

B. So think now about your heroā€™s moment of truth and how it might impact the climax of the novel:
Youā€™ve probably decided whether heā€™ll choose the old way or the new way, so think about that would look given the big walls-falling-down climax youā€™re planning. What if he/she choose to go the opposite way than what you chose?

C. This the moment where the inner journey nd the outward journey are interconnected. The plot, that is the story of your characterā€™s internal transformation here intersects the outer plot that has made that transformation possible. Your heroā€™s moment of truth decides it and the climax illustrates what she decides.

4. The climatic Moment Itself:
A. What is your external climax going to look like? Make it crazy! Turn up the heat until you donā€™t think the story can bear it anymoreā€”then triple it! All novel long, youā€™ve been heaping abuse on your hero to get her to change. Now is your chance to grab two handsful of grief and drop it on her head. The more dire you make it for the hero here at the end, the more heroic you make herā€”and the more you engage your reader.
B. If it is not a test about her make the right decision, rather an impossible that he must accomplish ā€œor else,ā€ keep your ā€œor elseā€ firmly in mind here. Remind yourself of the stakes. If the hero doesnā€™t X, the villain will Y. The climatic moment will be all about the ā€œor else.ā€ Ramp up the tension and make it a nail-biting moment.

5. The Immediate Aftermath:
A. What happens in those seconds immediately after the climax has transpired, for good or ill?
Life in the story is still going on and the walls are still falling down. What needs to happen?
B. You need to complete what you started for the reader to get closure.
C. You need to get the hero out of that dangerous place.
D. Play out the logical end of the scene that contained the climax
1. What will that be in your story?
2. What happens immediately afterwards?
3. Resolve the movement
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Roseille. Lt.Storm Machine and something too share · 10-08-19 7:35pm
by Chrys O'Shea

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3299050