(337)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:43am
Oh, Susan...
by A Non-Existent User
I brushed my brown hair out of my green eyes with a tan hand and watched as the Fourth of July parade roared past me, drawing the curious eyes of children all around my block, who were happily enjoying picnics with their families. I, myself, was alone right now, but seeing these happy families on this perfect day in July made me think about everything I was missing out on.

And then I saw her, and my heart sunk. Oh, Susan... I do love her. I do! Sure we were having problems. But we’d get through it. We always do! But as I watched the picnics and I watched all these happy families, I suddenly had doubts.

Susan was walking with that lovely gait of hers, demonstrating her illustrious confidence with every step on the sidewalk. I drew closer, and out of impulse, I began to call out to her. But as I opened my mouth, nothing came out. Seeing her begin to turn around, I realized I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t face her yet. So I did the obvious thing. I ran.

I thought about Susan all day. Throughout the barbecue with my parents and the bar with my friends, my only occupying thought was her. She was the love of my life. But I couldn’t do it. I mean, I was 37! It was too late for me! But as I got into my car and drove to the fireworks show, I realized I had to do it. If not for me, then for her.

So I called her.

With every ring, I got more and more nervous.

Ring… ring… ring… ring… “ Hello?”

Forcing the words out of my mouth, I said, “ Susan? I’ll do it. I want to have kids.”
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Oh, Susan... · 07-04-18 8:43am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the twisted raccoon.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3196435