*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2586005
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
Starts Oct. 1st! A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 21, 2013 at 10:30am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I...
Ember-
I love it when people take story (as a fan) and put a twist on it and make it their own. I don't like copies. But if you can get inspiration from a concept or something in a book or story causes you to say WHAT IF? and off you go, I'm all for it. My novel is inspired by a fellow writer here on WDC. We took a class together. His story had an element that hooked me and I couldn't let go of it. I asked permission to use that part and he graciously agreed. I love WDC!

I too found self published books to be a "crapshoot" so to speak. I now ask who edited for you. If it was friends or someone with no writing experience they don't know the rules, I probably won't buy it. I've also found "editors" who know grammar may just do that. They don't know what makes a good story. So they say, Its good. You are so desperate for affermation you say Publish!

I have been very fortunate this past week. My coworker's wife is in a book club and they have elected to take on my rough draft as a project!! If some want to edit that would be great. If some what to read for content and context that would be great too. I'm just thrilled that they will do it. If they rip it apart I don't mind. I will take what they say into context. I will not rewrite the novel unless they give me a good reason to do so. Ask around and see if any of the book clubs will take on your novel as a project. It will give them a sense of worth to help a writer not just read a book at tell each other why they liked it. This gives them a chance to chew on something new. Don't be afraid, it isn't a real baby no matter what you think. Just word on a paper you birthed. You have other's inside you.

Your "issues" should never hold you back from writing or getting published. If you have a good story and you love it. have others read it, even if they are friends. Word will spell check and grammar check the basics. That's all you need. I don't fear self publishing, but I won't put garbage out and expect people to buy it. I am picky (since WDC has educted me) I will read the final a couple of times to make sure I haven't done something that I would catch. However no one is perfect. I've seen little mistakes in prolific authors. It happens. If the story is good and captures interest, those little things are by passed. Its happened to me. I miss details because the story has me in its grip and something comes up and I think, "I don't remember that happening." That's the mark of a good author!

Tina Weaver

** Image ID #1634119 Unavailable **
MESSAGE THREAD
Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-18-13 7:52am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-18-13 12:39pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-18-13 12:57pm
by Eric the Fred
Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-18-13 4:22pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-18-13 5:43pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-18-13 6:25pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-18-13 7:19pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 9:12am
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 1:15pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 2:02pm
by Joy
Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 6:45pm
by šŸŒ‘ Darleen - QoD
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 7:50pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 8:04pm
by šŸŒ‘ Darleen - QoD
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 9:19pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 9:57pm
by šŸŒ‘ Darleen - QoD
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 10:33pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 10:47pm
by šŸŒ‘ Darleen - QoD
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspiration: ... · 10-19-13 11:00pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspirati... · 10-20-13 5:39pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Inspi... · 10-20-13 8:26pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I... · 10-21-13 10:30am
by Quick-Quill
Re: Inspiration: "Rules" · 10-19-13 4:45pm
by Gaby ~ Way behind!

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2586005