*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1078397-Down-on-the-Corner
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2313403
A blog about music from my unique perspective (also a spot for some poetry I’ve written)
#1078397 added October 16, 2024 at 7:56am
Restrictions: None
Down on the Corner
My thirteenth track is another CCR, as a defunct band. I had a hard time deciding between this one and Looking Out My Back Door, as I have fond memories of and enjoy them both, but I settled on Down on the Corner, which was released in 1969 on their album Willie and the Poor Boys.

It tells a folksy tale of a family street band… now that I think of it, John Fogarty may have been inspired by the old song "Johnny Morgan played the organ." Reading the Wikipedia   page, I see he rather got the idea from Winnie the Pooh, which he declared to be his favorite character. Hey, Pooh Bear is mine as well *Inlove2*

Mom played it often, and it became part of my childhood in Tennessee. I enjoyed it, despite not knowing most of the lyrics. As an adult, I find it to be the kind of song where the words don't matter so much as the music. I love getting lost in the flow of the melody.

Down on the Corner became such an instantly recognizable American classic, that Walgreens sampled the music for a series of radio commercials they ran in 2012 or so, much to my youthful delight. It tied into their slogan: "on the corner of happy and healthy."

The comments under the YouTube audio I chose are amusing… one person said "I'm thirty years old, a native English speaker, and I can only understand about thirty percent of the lyrics." I thought I was the only person who had no idea what John's saying. Another person remarked, "Walgreens ruined this song." Honestly, I didn't think anyone else noticed or remembered they used it.

What can I say? It's a favorite of mine. Enjoy *Smile*




Words: 304.

© Copyright 2024 Anarchist Angel 🏴 (UN: greenwillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Anarchist Angel 🏴 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1078397-Down-on-the-Corner